Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holiday Madness

Well, we've survived Christmas. I know New Years is still coming up, but that's not a big holiday for our family. Hubby and I may grab a bottle of champagne, or a foreign beer, or a 6 pack of hard cider, don't know. We've got a friend who's got something going on, a party/auction of sorts, but I REALLY hate being out on the roads on New Years Eve, so I'm not sure if we'll go.

Anyway, so this Christmas was actually a bit tamer than previous years. We had Christmas with my grandparents last week because that's when my dad was in town. He's very rarely ever in town and it's been about 4 years since he's been here near Christmas, so Grandma made sure we celebrated Christmas with him. He and my step-mom may be horrible parents to me (that's a whole 'nother post), but the one thing I can say about them, is they are pretty good grandparents.

My ex and I share Christmas with my daughter every year, he'll get her in the morning one year, and the afternoon the following year. This year he got morning, so we didn't really do anything until she was coming our way. We packed everything up, grabbed her, and headed to my mom's house. My mom, my step-mom (my mom's wife), and my sister were all there. I'll admit it, I'm very much about the traditions I grew up with, and it's very hard for me not to see my mom on Christmas, so I always try to spend some of the day with her.

Our day over there was fairly uneventful, with the exception that a cold/fever my daughter had been fighting the day before decided to come roaring back. We did stockings and presents, had our traditional taco dinner, then just kinda hung out, talking, watching the kids play with their new toys, and watching the new movie my daughter got. She wound up falling asleep curled in my lap, which was both heartwarming and heartbreaking. Heartwarming because it's been quite a while since she's fallen asleep on me, and heartbreaking because I could tell she didn't feel well.

We got home and started opening all the packages. I think it's time for me to go through all the toys in the kids room and clean out the toys they don't really play with any more. We'll donate the good ones and get rid of the broken ones or ones that are missing lots of parts.

Hope your holidays were just what you wanted them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment