Friday, December 14, 2012

A sleepy update

It's been a bit since I posted anything, but that's because the last 3 weeks or so have been very crazy and very exhausting. I started a new job working in an Amazon warehouse during a graveyard shift. This means my day is very long, with very little sleep, and waaaay too much caffeine. Here's an example of a typical work weekday...
6:30 am-Get everyone up, dressed, and ready for school/work. Make breakfast for all, and pack Hubby's lunch.
7:30 am-Out the door to the bus stop
8:00 am- Boy is on bus, time for me to go to bed.
10:30 am-Wake up, get ready to go pick up Boy from bus. Get him lunch, and get him ready for a nap
Between 11:30 am and 12 pm- Get Boy down for nap, spend a few minutes on the internet to make sure he's actually laying down and not playing.
12:00 pm-Back to sleep
Somewhere between 1:30 and 3:30 pm- Boy wakes up from nap (if he actually slept), so I wake up. Mess around online, spend time with Boy, get dinner ready, if I'm up early then take shower for work.
6:15 pm-Head out the door, swing by QT for large fountain energy drink (Rooster Booster), drive to work
7:00 pm-Sit in break room, drinking energy drink.
7:30 pm- Shift starts
6:00 am- Shift ends, hurry to car and hurry home so I can get everyone ready.

On weeks I'm working overtime, I don't get out of work until 7:00 am, which means I'm hurrying home to meet Hubby and Boy at the bus stop so Hubby can get to work on time.

On a normal 40 hour week, I have three days off, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. For a 50 hour week, I work Sunday, too. For a 55 hour week I'm working until 7 am, plus my Sunday shift. For a 60 hour week I go in from 2 am-7 am on Sunday, go home, then come back at 7:30 pm, in addition to my regular days working until 7 am.

Since I'm married and have kids, on my days off I do try to get a little extra sleep, but refuse to sleep the day away so I can actually spend some time with my awesome family.

Hubby has been amazing during this time. Usually, the majority of housework and child rearing fell to me since I was staying home and he was the one working. Since I'm now working, too, and an odd schedule at that, he's taken to getting things done and taking care of the kids more. He makes sure I get that extra sleep when I can and, even though I can barely hear them when I'm sleeping, he's really good about trying to keep the kids quiet when I'm sleeping, even taking them to the playground in our complex.

The only guarantee I have is that I'll have this job up until Christmas, after that I could wind up being let go or wind up being asked to stay. On one hand, I'm really glad to be working again and I've met some truly great people, not to mention the money is really nice. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I could keep up this schedule for a long time. The best hope is, eventually, we could get Boy in to a daycare/preschool for a couple of hours after he gets out of school. Our major hope is that someday I can have a more normal day time job, but I'm thinking that probably won't be a possibility until Boy enters kindergarten.

Anyway, spending some time today catching up on housework and the like (it'll be a BIG caffeine day for me) so this weekend we can spend some time with the family. Going to my grandparents house on Sunday for an early Christmas since my dad will be in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment